Monday, September 6, 2010

Camp La Montana

If I could sum camp up in one word, I would have to go with AWESOME! I got to know my students a lot better, developed and strengthened some relationships with other staff, and just had a great time. Be sure to check out my facebook page for two videos and 40 photos of camp. I took some more videos that I had planned to upload, but the internet is very slow here, so uploading even a really short video can take about 20 minutes.

This camp was by far one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen in my life. Sometimes I just had to stop and look around and thank God for allowing me to serve here. I feel so undeserving to be so privleged and blessed. The kids, I suppose because they've grown up here, seem to have no idea how lucky they are. I didn't hear a single kid remark on the beauty of the place even one time. They were more interested on the many activities the place had to offer; and there was A LOT, including: a place for roller-blading; a rock-climbing wall; air hockey and ping-pong; a full gym; a soccer field; a ropes course better than the best I've seen in The States (I wish I had taken some pictures of that); two lakes, one of which had a trampoline, a high dive, a rope swing, a bike ramp, and a volleyball net; mountain bikes, and an archery range. Some of the counselors preferred to watch, while others jumped right in and played alongside the kids. If you know me I bet you can guess which I did. I wish I had time to do more of the activities, but I did make sure to play a lot of basketball, volleyball in the lake, go off the rope swing and high jump. When I played basketball the atletic director noticed that "Ms. McWhirter got game" as he put it, and they are talking about plugging me into coaching the 6th-8th grade girls team in the spring, which I would love! I've never had more fun doing something I got paid for than when I coached the 7th grade team back home a couple of years ago.

The group of girls in my cabin were in 7th grade, and I was thinking how interesting that is, as in recent years I have really felt like God has placed a special love for that age girls on my heart. I could have had any grade from 6th-12th in my cabin, but God gave me them. It was really neat to get to know them better, and be able to openly share the plan of salvation with them twice. Each night before bed we would pray together and talk about what we had learned that day. I can really see God working in their lives, and I'm excited to see them progress this school year.

At chapel several students raised their hands to accept Christ. I never heard any official numbers, but I think it was over 25. I noticed that one of my most difficult 7th grade boys, Jose, raised his hand, and I plan to ask him about it this week. He's a really bright kid, and I actually like him a lot; he just has a lot of extra energy that sometimes gets him into trouble. He has very strong leadership skills, and I know God could really use him. It is such a privilege to see God working in lives like his. There's a picture of him on facebook where he is sitting on the ground looking up at the camera if you want to see what he looks like.

We got back on Friday, and I have been getting some much needed rest. As great as camp was, it was three cram-packed days full of draining activities coupled with very little sleep. I came home exhausted and a little sick. I think I caught a stomach bug from one of the girls in my cabin, so that has not been fun. I almost over it though.

There was no school today for Labor Day; ICS celebrates both American and Costa Rican holidays since it is an international school. I tried to go the bank to put more money on my cell phone, but no luck. Apparently I need my passport for that, and I didn't have it with me after I took two buses in the rain. I have found that most errands in this country take at least two attempts: one to find out what you need, and another to actually do it. If you are lucky, when you go back they won't tell you that you need additional items that they failed to mention the first time. I am feeling more and more confident doing things like this all on my own and in Spanish though.

In a few hours I am going to dinner with my cousin, Nathan. I am very excited to see him because he lives in Texas, and I haven't seen him for a few years. He is in Costa Rica for a business trip/vacation, and he flies out in the morning.
 
Here are a few pictures from camp. For more, check out my album entitled "ICS Camp" on facebook.
Me with some of the girls from my cabin:
(L to R) Yulissa, me, Mariela, Rebecca, Kayley
 
Some of the other high school teachers and I.


(L to R) Angie, Me, Dan
Angie is the Special Ed teacher,
And Dan is from Canada and
teaches 6th grade

No comments:

Post a Comment